Saturday, April 28, 2012

Zoo day...Thanks Angel's Hands Foundation

Today we made the trek out to Hogle Zoo for one of the amazing events put on by Angel's Hands Foundation. Everyone was super excited to get out and see some of our favorite families and people.  Many of them we have not seen since our whirlwind announcement that Sage was going on hospice care back in December.  Many of them have followed and stayed in touch with us via Facebook, but we have not seen them in person.

We don't actively announce to people about Sage's condition.  Most of the time people ask how we are doing and I just give a generic answer...fine.  Some of that is because I am scared of the deer in the headlight look that I get when I tell them.  Some of it is because I don't really know how much to tell them.  Afraid that once I start that I won't be able to stop.  Some of it is because if I say that its fine....then it maybe it will be.  Its just easier to say "Fine".

There are a select few that know that that is a lie. They know that it is rough.  Many have walked a similar road.  Today, many of those people made their presence known, and we thank them.  They don't really have to ask, they just know.  

Our entire family had a wonderful day at the zoo.  I was shocked that we stayed for five hours.  What was even more shocking was that Sage was still going strong (if not on her second wind) when we left.  Mark, Fay, and I were worn out. Currently, as I write, Sage is laying on the couch playing with Mark, giggling away.  

As we drove out of the parking lot, it made me so happy to hear Fay say, "I had so much fun today" and for us to hear Sage laughing and giggling from her car seat.

Note on picture:  This was taken on the way home.  Bandage on her cheek is a really small scratch that she just keeps re-opening.  Looks much worse than it really is.  Joy of not being able to clot..you get to wear pretty bandages, and Mom and Dad have to deal with stares.  Honestly this is better than watching her bleed all day long and Mom looking like she has gotten into a fight with someone (I am who she wipes her face on).

    

No comments: